Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Lorenz manifold - yer done!

3/4 rotation - 13 of 13

3/4 rotation - 9 of 13

Thank you to:
- Mark and Jorge for help with the finishing
- Fluxx for psychological support throughout  :D
- Dr. Osinga for the pattern

The manifold is now hanging in a corner of my living room where it twirls slowly around for the amusement of all. In the future, maybe I can take a video of it rotating. Until then, I made two slideshows: 3/4 rotation and full rotation. All the manifold photosets can be found here.

Good luck to all who are crocheting a manifold! I hope that you find my notes helpful. :0) I almost wish I had the yarn so to make another one in different colors. !!

Here are links to the previous blog posts:


Final mounting process notes:

With the invisible cord threaded through the hole, I created a triangle, wrapping the cord around the wire on both sides of the rod then tying 4 square knots. In these pictures you can also see the hole #2 threaded with cord to loop around a ceiling hook for hanging. The fabric was a little ruffly, so I steamed it a bit with a steam iron to even it out.

Lorenz manifold - finishing 5 Lorenz manifold - finishing 6


A look back....a copy of my Ravelry.com project log:

3/31/08: With help, I've wired the manifold a second time and added a sort of support cross beam. I'm eager to share the final results in blog post soon.

3/16/08: Today I attempted following the weaving instructions in prep for wiring. After hours of this, I realized that I would have to **toss them** since the lines were off. Maybe b/c gauge is totally different. I then attempted to do the weaving lines **visually**. Very very very difficult! I now have suspicious as to why I have seen so few actually mounted manifolds...

3/13/08: Crochet complete. Requires wiring and rod down the center. 35.5" diameter (eta: I have to recheck). 47 rounds, 21,919 stitches. Damage: 7 extra balls of yarn.

3/9/08: Rnds 42-45 complete. 36" diameter. Purchased crochet thread, size 3 weight, in navy as a substitute for dark blue. Why did I not think of this before? $1.99 for 150 yds! It would have been less than half of the cost. I live and I learn.

3/6/08: Rnds 36-41 complete. Dagnabbit. Running out of yarn AGAIN. Will have to buy one more ball of Patons and substitute black for dk blue. @#$! ~5800 stitches remain. This project now gets a frowny face, but it really is an angry face. It actually requires nearly 2x the amount specified.

2/23/08: Rnds 1-35 complete. 11,058 stitches. 50% crochet done. 26" diameter. You can clearly see the concentration of increases in upper right quadrant.

2/18/08: Found generous Ravelry member to sell me 2 skeins dk blue. Now on rnd 34!

2/15/08: Ripped back to rnd 20. Switched from size B hook to larger C hook. Started again with med blue Patons Grace. Plan to do to 9 rnds in med blue/dk blue, 9 rnds in blue/dk blue, 9 rnds in med blue/dk blue. When I run out of yarn in the final rnds, I have in stash 1 skein black Grace and 1 skein red Catania.

2/10/08: Bad news. I may be short 2 skeins, 1 each color. Where am I going to get this yarn?? I'm switching to a bigger hook.

2/9/08: Completed rounds 1-24.

1/30/08: Completed rounds 1-10 and 871 stitches! Only 37 more rounds and 21,118 stitches to go. 10 inches diameter.

Stitch markers are my friends on this project. Will look really cool suspended from the ceiling.


( 8 comments — Leave a comment )
Apr. 7th, 2008 02:13 am (UTC)
Just...wow. That is really impressive!

- Sarah
Apr. 7th, 2008 03:44 am (UTC)
Apr. 8th, 2008 07:09 am (UTC)
Peek! Hehe. Thanks!
Apr. 8th, 2008 03:11 pm (UTC)
every mathematician needs one
Nice job!

I think I want to make one too! From your notes it seems hard to anticipate how much yarn you'll need.

This really brings out my inner math geek.
Apr. 8th, 2008 06:45 pm (UTC)
Re: every mathematician needs one
Thanks paulinew!

Go for it! I put my yarn notes under the post "Notes on crocheting". I used 8 balls x 150 yds for the lighter blue and 7 balls x 150 yds for the darker blue. I estimated that about 1700 dc = 150 yds. My tails were 4-6" long.
Apr. 10th, 2008 03:43 pm (UTC)
oooo that is impressive!

i wonder if you were to do it
using cut up plastic bags that make for a stiffer form
and a wire in under the crochet near a center round and outer round
if you could eliminate the lateral wire armatures

i've added you to my friends list
i think you're marvelous!
Apr. 11th, 2008 12:15 am (UTC)
I think what you'd get then would be a sort of basin, canoe shape.

Plastic bags would be ok, but you'd need a lot of material and in solid colors. I would be concerned about the thin plastic tearing if it was really cut to be narrow enough for size C hooks. However, you could make a bigger version with a larger hook. Even though it would be bigger, the lighterweight plastic just might be able to be held up by the wires. The length of wire for the project would have to be adjusted -- it is very specific. Too much or too little, and it won't curve properly.

Thanks! :) I like to play around with lots of crafts too.
Apr. 18th, 2008 07:13 am (UTC)
I followed your progress with the lorenz manifold practically every day - first thing in the morning I checked your blog and ravelry site - the result is as amazing as your patience and willpower!

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures -
and for sharing the progress with helpful notes and information -
the idea of making one is already nested in my brain and all it needs is make a decision which color and when to start (the summer months' spare time usually eaten up by work in the garden). And then of course, the entire magnitude of the project - how admirable you stuck to it. I should make a screen saver of your lovely work.
Best to you
Laura / Ravelry Strickmamsell
( 8 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

July 2012
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Witold Riedel